Categories

Standing Poses

Establishing your connection to the earth

In the western yoga literature from the 1940s and 50s, standing poses were about giving shape and strength the legs, but today we know much more than this. Of course these exercises tone and strengthen the legs that more importantly they are all about grounding.

If you think about our fundamental nature, about 70% of our body is water and the other 30% composed of minerals and elements of the earth that we have extracted from the soils that produces our food. In other words like the words of the song, we are stardust and these elements can be harnessed to support us.

At a more subtle level we are bioelectrical organisms connected through

Continue reading Standing Poses

Vrksasana

Yoga Asana Series

Tree Pose – testing your balance

This is a challenge for most people. The faster ones mind is working, the more difficult it is to balance so this is good pose to start tweaking awareness and moving toward a quieter mind. But don’t let it shatter your confidence.

If you are just starting out, are older or very unfit. It is a good option to simply stand tall and rest one foot on top of the other. If balance is a challenge, keep one hand on the wall and bring your hands into prayer position as able. From here continue with the raised foot on the ankle and the knee opened out. Then as your grow

Continue reading Vrksasana

Tadasana

Yoga Asana Series

The Mountain Pose

To understand the body and interpret asana, it helps to understand the relationship between the planes of the body so that when performing asana, the planes are respected and form the integrity of the body. As with all yoga poses, tadasana helps to balance the musculature of the body creating evenness and as importantly, balance that many people tend to lose.

Grounding and openness

Tadasana is the art of standing in balance on both feet while holding your body upright and open with softness and evenness of breath. This is an elemental position from which all standing yoga poses commence.

This pose is about establishing integrity and openness in the body as represented

Continue reading Tadasana

Virabhadrasana #2

Yoga Asana Series

A primary warrior pose

This is a good representative pose – youtube

This asana is often performed after uthitta trikonasana as its easier to do than virabhadrasana 1. In this asana the integrity of tadasana is transferred with the feet placed slightly more than 1 m apart.

In the beginning it takes some experimentation to get the correct foot placings and begin to work into the pose. From standing with the feet wide and parallel, the right toes turn out a full 90° and the left heel turns back some 10°.

As with trikonasana, the line through the centre of the forward foot follows back to the centre arch of the back foot.

When

Continue reading Virabhadrasana #2