How to Save The World?

Read the World Change Proposal

Take off your shoes

Barefoot supports health

hippieSpending time barefoot is actually a very healthy activity. Walking on the grass and feeling the sand between your toes helps to connect one's body with the earth and massage the feet.

Some people have come to think that this is somewhat unhygienic yet up until a few hundred years ago, the majority of all people went barefoot and shoes were only invented for those who walked in thorny situations.

By walking barefoot upon the earth, the body is reminded of its roots because our physical body is actually made from the stuff of the earth and a whole lot of water. Approximately 70% of our bodies mass is made up of water and the remaining 30% is made from elements of the earth like iron, copper and other minerals.

When we spend a lifetime wearing shoes, we get disconnected from the source of life but more significantly, with the feet being bound inside footwear, they begin to lose their sensitivity and flexibility. Most women and anyone who wears shoes that are not exactly comfortable always looks forward to removing them and feel relieved when the shoes come off.


It's nice to look nice but I'm so relieved when my shoes come off at days end

Within the science of reflexology, the feet represent the entirety of their physicality and a foot massage can be used to treat almost any health problem. But with the gradual disconnection from life and with the feet being bound, the grounds for illness can develop.

Therefore any person who wishes to retain their health and fitness must not only spend some time barefoot in nature, but they should also spend time barefoot inside their own home.

The barefoot house

The practice of leaving one's shoes at the door and walking barefoot inside the home generally began in Asia. Even with people who don't wear shoes, it is often thought to be good manners to wash the feet before entering someone's house.

The reason is hygienic because of the vast amount of dirt and bacteria found on the soles of shoes. Almost every substance makes its way onto the streets from industrial waste to people spitting.  According to a 2008 study by the University of Arizona, approximately 421,000 different types of bacteria including E. coli, Serratia ficaria, Klebsiella pneumoniae and faecal mater can be found on shoes.

“The common occurrence (96%) of coliform and E. coli bacteria on the outside of the shoes indicates frequent contact with fecal material, which most likely originates from floors in public restrooms or contact with animal fecal material outdoors. Our study also indicated that bacteria can be tracked by shoes over a long distance into your home or personal space after the shoes were contaminated with bacteria.” ~ Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona

“We walk through things like bird droppings, dog waste and germs on public restroom floors, all of which are sources for E. coli. Think about rain water in the street. It can have gasoline in it and chemicals, and those get on your shoes and can be brought into your home.” ~ Kelly Reynolds, microbiologist and professor at the University of Arizona

Exposure to toxins and chemicals is a major cause of illness. So removing your shoes before entering the home helps to limit exposure to pathogens and keep your family healthy.  Other activities to help safeguard your health include regularly scrubbing shoes with soapy water before polishing. Floors and carpets should also be regularly washed. Many people recommend disinfectant cleaners, but good old-fashioned soap, water and elbow grease works just as well.


Leave a Reply